Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Expired listings are a GOLD MINE for Wholesalers!

I don't know about you but as a kid I always got stuck with the "Hand Me Downs". I was the youngest child in the family and would always get the clothes that everyone else already wore. I would get the jeans that were already worn out, the shirts that had the color washed out etc...

I never really appreciated the concept of "Hand Me Downs" as a child. I mean who wants something that someone else has already worn out? Something that someone has already had in their possession for about 4 months before they decide it is of no use to them anymore.

You know where I am going with this right?

Exactly!!! Expired listings are the real estate version of Hand Me Downs. Check this out... A Realtor lists a property and puts it on the MLS. This is where it gets worn out, washed through and picked apart. Then one day the listing runs out and the property is available for the picking. Just like an old shirt or an old pair of jeans. If it fits wear it!

The best thing is that these are sellers that have been trying to sell their house for whatever reason and are now more motivated than they were when they first listed their property. They may have fallen behind in their mortgage and tried to sell their house to prevent foreclosure. If this is the case than you now become a new hope to them and you get a chance to help someone out while making a profit. These are my favorite kind of Hand Me Downs because I can offer these sellers another chance to relieve their burden.

If you have a Realtor on your team have them send you all of the expired listings in a particular area that you have buyers in. Now go through the listings and pull out the ones that say "Motivated seller", "Handy man", "Bring Offers" etc... Research the owners of these properties using the resources that I have provided in the side bar. Contact them and see if the property is still for sale. If it is then go through the sample phone script that I have added as a resource for you. Now schedule a time to see the property. Remember to do as much research as possible on the property before you get there. This will help in your negotiations.

I now have a new respect for Hand Me Downs. I am now standing with my trash bag open shouting "Put Em in Here!".

Now go make some money!

Written by Carol Stinson. All rights reserved.


Check out these related blog posts
How To Identify A Motivated Seller
Where To Find The Best Properties To Wholesale
Tips To Help You Build Your Buyers List

No comments: